Imperial Star Artichoke Seeds

Imperial Star Artichoke Seeds

Fruits the first year | Nearly 3 times the yield of older varieties

Sweet, mild buds stay closed longer on the plant, for a more leisurely harvest.

Item # 05006-PK-P1
In stock - allow 3-5 business days for order processing prior to shipment.
Genus Cynara
Species scolymus
Variety Imperial Star
Item Form (P) Pkt of 20 seeds
Zone 8 - 11
Days to Maturity 150
Fruit Color Green
Habit Upright
Seeds Per Pack 20
Plant Height 24 in - 2 ft 6 in
Plant Width 24 in
Additional Characteristics Edible
Foliage Color Blue Green
Harvest Season Late Summer
Light Requirements Full Sun
Moisture Requirements Moist,  well-drained
Soil Tolerance Normal,  loamy
Uses Outdoor

Review Summary
(Based on 4 Reviews)

5 star rating
Overall Rating: 5.0 / 5.0


5 star rating
100% germination
Dave from NY wrote on April 05, 2019

I had bad luck in the past with artichokes and germination... but I decided to try something different. I took 10 seeds and put them in damp sand in a pill bottle and then the other 10 seeds in damp peat moss in a pill bottle. I put these in the crisper of the fridge for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, I planted them 1 seed per cell and placed a a warming mat (gets the soild to about 75-80 deg because I grow them in the basement which is about 60).. Anways after just 3 days, I had 80% germination, then about 2-3 days later the remaining 20% were up. Never had such good luck with artichoke seeds.

5 star rating
Grew these last season
Rachel from UT wrote on January 25, 2018

I read this variety would be best for my zone, 6b. I had 100% germination. They took quite a while to get going and I was nervous I wouldn't get any production so I bought some already well established green globes from a big box store. To my surprise the imperial star plants I started put out fruit first although the plant was still quite smaller than the globes. In fact I never got any fruit from the globes. And they got huge. Just came back to buy some more seeds. I couldn't let any go to seed, I ate them all.

4 star rating
imperial Start Worth The Effort!
Bob Gabella - GardenOpus from IL wrote on November 13, 2013

I regret to say I used several year old, unopened but properly stored seed but a few still germinated, grew and "fruited" even with comparative neglect (so I am ordering fresh seed now). Here in suburban Chicago first chokes came the last week in July and continued on and off until hard frost. Plants are compact compared to west coast Artichokes, each was slightly different in habit choke size, color and production (so not entirely uniform) - but I did follow the wisdom of several weeks below 50 F after 3 true leaves before transplanting (most detailed info online suggests in the North starting 12 weeks before transplant and the last half of that time should be outside hardened off and with as many nights below 50 as possible, bringing them in if freezing weather threatens). This means the fast growing plants will be large and husky at transplant time. I want to give them better attention this year, will work extra organic matter and TomatoTone into the soil and cull out the odd looking seedlings in favo

5 star rating
Artichoke seeds
Anonymous from VA wrote on March 18, 2013

The artichoke seeds that I received began to germinate after 10 days. Curiously, one of the two-leaf seedlings is snow white - no green. The others are green. Why?

You May Also Like